Pendants are pragmatic fixtures in a room. They have the ability to set the mood of an entire room with its light and sculptural design - by day, it can serve as a stunning feature piece for your interiors, while at night, it can ignite your space with illumination and beauty. Let us help you reinvigorate your decor with our collection of acclaimed designer pendant lights from around the world - stylish, unique and practical lighting at the most affordable prices.
Our range spans from vintage and industrial to modern and contemporary - we have something beautiful for every home, office, cafe or restaurant. If you can't find what you are looking for, please let us know and will source it for you - just send us your specifications and we will find and bring it to you.
Light up your space in style with designer pendant lights
Pendant lights were traditionally used to simply light up your space in the most efficient and economical way (i.e. Edison lamps hung from the ceiling). However, recently, pendant lights are no longer simply about bringing light to a space – it’s about making a statement or adding a decorative element to a bland space. Especially when coordinated with the furniture and space, pendant lights can truly serve a critical component in the ambience and decorative aesthetic of a space.
We offer a huge selection of the best in designer lighting, and neatly serve our selection based on shape, style, material, colour and application. You can be confident in our selection to find shapes, styles and finishes that perfectly suit your aesthetic.
Replica Pendant Lights
A replica is a copy of an original, and is produced in a way to make the design accessible to the general public. That is essentially our goal - To make stunning designer lighting affordable and accessible to everyone. Our replica lights are of the highest quality - We specialise in the sale of replica designer lighting and are so confident in the quality of our lights that we offer a 30 day return policy on all of our replica lighting pendant lights. We take our replicas seriously and and our attention to detail for quality is second to none.
Modern Pendant Lights
Modern and contemporary pendant lighting are an attractive alternative to plain, traditional light fixtures and illumination. Zest Lighting offers a comprehensive collection of contemporary light fixtures to fit any budget and style. Modern lights are essentially newer, more "flashy" and forward decorative fittings that are designed to make a statement and offer ample lighting based on the latest lighting technology and designs.
Contemporary Pendant Lights
Contemporary pendants offer unmatched diversity ranging from understated single pendant versions as well as multi-light pendants. Modern pendant lighting brings in an elegant finish to any room. Not only do they make an attractive centrepiece, but they can also add a modern designer look to any room you'd like. We offer a huge selection of contemporary pendant lights and are more so geared towards this style than the classic and traditional designs that you see in older homes and buildings. Technology and design has evolved and will continue to bring more variety in creating ambience and style.
Modern vs Contemporary Pendant Lights
Actually, many think that modern and contemporary designs are the same and are used as synonyms when describing many things. However, the reality is that technically there's a world of difference between modern and contemporary in design. We prefer to use them as synonyms due to our customers understanding of the words, but we will like to take the opportunity here to explain the difference between the terms before moving on to contemporary lighting styles.
In short, modern design refers to an era that has passed, while contemporary design is all about the now and the future. The most popular modern design era is the mid-century modern era of the 1950s and 1960s. Think - the modern art movement of the 20th century, informed by Scandinavian and German Bauhaus design. The distinct style focused on simple form and function, which are valued as equals under this style.
Unlike modern design, contemporary design doesn't refer to a specific period of time—it's constantly evolving to reflect the popular styles of present day design. It borrows qualities from modernism, minimalism, Art Deco, and other global styles, without hyper-focusing on any one in particular.
The timeless and underrated elegance of traditional and classic pendant lighting is a pleasure to behold and a perfect way to give your space an inviting period look. Classic period decorating can add a warm, inviting look to a home. With traditional details ranging from lead light glass to crystal accents, these classics are a great fit for turn-of-the-century homes and new construction alike. However, we tend to cater more to newer and more contemporary designs so the selection in this particular style would be less than other styles.
Timber Wooden Pendant Lights
A timber or wood pendant light is definitely an intriguing accessory. Wood as a material symbolizes warmth and this can be used to one’s advantage if the goal is to make a space feel welcoming and comfortable. The Scandinavians have popularised this particular style - by combining lighting with natural materials, designers have managed to bring warmth and nature to interior spaces.
Shopping by Material and Colour
Pendants usually come in colours that the material they’re made of would normally be found in. For example, metal might be chrome, white, black, gold, brass, or bronze. Concrete will often be grey or have an off white tone. Glass may be slightly tinted to appear a different colour, or it might be clear. Material and colour are critical in affecting the way your space looks and feels.
Shop by Shape
Pendant lights come in all shapes and sizes. Pendant shade shapes include bell, cone, dome, cylinder, ring, round ball – just to name a few. We offer all shapes in a variety of colours and materials to suit your needs.
Shop by Room or Application
The type of pendant lights that you chose will vary by its application and use. For example, the pendant light that you use in your bedroom as a bedside lamp would generally be different in design and set up to what you use over a stairwell or staircase. Bedroom pendant lights are similar to kitchen pendant lights - they are not so big in size and less flashy than what you would use elsewhere in your space (i.e. dining room or void). Pendant lights over a staircase would be set up in a cluster of different sizes and heights and are generally large, big and bold fittings designed to make a statement on top of illuminating the space. We have an entire category where you can shop by application, and are confident that you will find something that would work in your home or office.
How to Choose the Best Pendant Lights: Size, Finishes, Styles and Installation Options
With so many versatile pendant lighting options, you may have a hard time choosing just one. So how do you choose the best pendant for your space? You can start by going through the considerations listed below:
- Purpose: In certain rooms, a light fixture serves a more functional purpose rather than fashionable. For instance, the pendants you choose to hang over your kitchen island will provide functional, task-oriented illumination while the lighting at the front door is meant to captivate guests entering your home.
- Size: Know the square footage of the room as well as the ceiling height (including vaulted and sloped ceilings) to help you make the best choice. Be mindful of all sizing dimensions including width, depth, height and even weight of a fixture you are interested in.
- Positioning: Consider the positioning of the pendant light and its effects on style, general lighting of the room as well as symmetry of design.
- Colours: Look for pendant lights that will complement your existing colour palette. We have pendant lights available in a variety of colours including but not limited to black, white, grey, brass, gold, natural, and copper.
- Brightness: The ideal lumen count for ambient lighting in a dining room–or any room–is determined by the space’s square footage. Per 10 square metres, a dining room needs about 250-400 total lumens. However, please be mindful that most pendant lights are supported by downlights and other functional lighting so pendant light brightness is sometimes considered secondary ambient lighting rather than focused functional lighting.
- Lighting Function:
- Uplight Lighting: upwards lighting, providing reflected ambiance around a space, rather than direct downlighting
- Downlight Lighting: Ideal when your room needs lots of direct, focused light as well as ambient light. Most common use.
- Ambient Lighting: Diffused non direct lighting
- Installation Height: Consider how height affects style, safety and illumination. Also, consider ease of installation and its maintenance. For example, if you plan to install in high ceilings, be sure you have all the necessary equipment and items before hiring an electrician. An electrician may have to hire scaffolding so it is highly advised that you check that all items are in working order and ready for installation before hiring a scaffold. Also, consider how the fixture will be cleaned or maintained over time - would a ladder and duster reach or would you need to hire a specialist cleaner?
Zest Lighting has a large range of the best designs in lighting in one place. Our range spans from iconic pieces of past eras to the contemporary designs of today - there's something here for everyone. Our design enthusiasts meticulously hand pick and approve each design to ensure a large but curated collection that fits our customers high standards in style. We have spent a a lot of time looking for the right pieces to add to our collection and hope you like them as much as we do.
We are based in Sydney and ship Australia wide including free shipping to Brisbane, Melbourne, Adelaide and Sydney. Shop Designer Pendant Lights Online at Zest Lighting.